Group Leader Position Description: Group Leaders (GLs) are full-time AmeriCorps members who serve in Title I elementary schools throughout Oakland. GLs provide one-on-one and small group intervention support during the school day and lead an after-school literacy intervention program of no more than 16 students.
Super Stars Literacy Group Leaders serve in a cohort of 30 members all of whom are interested in education, committed to making a lasting impact in their communities, and are excited about working with elementary age students. Prior to starting in the classroom, members participate in an extensive, two-week orientation, and throughout the service term meet weekly with SSL staff for continued training, coaching, and mentoring.
- Interest in working with children (experience in literacy tutoring desirable but not required)
- An energetic and positive attitude
- Communication skills necessary to work with children, school staff, and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage a full workload
- Flexibility and poise when dealing with stressful situations
- Experience working with diverse communities or demonstrated commitment to community service
- Bilingual desirable but not required
Position Duration: August 16, 2017 to June 30, 2018. Members must serve a minimum of 1700 hours.
Member Benefits: All members receive a monthly living allowance of approximately $1900 before taxes and deductions. In addition, members may be eligible for health coverage and loan forbearance while in service. Members who complete a full term of service will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for $5,900, which can be used to pay back loans or for future educational expenses.
Eligibility Requirements: All members must pass criminal history check, including FBI, DOJ, and NSOPW searches, as well as supply proof of tuberculosis clearance, a high school diploma or equivalent, and a minimum of 48 college credits. In addition, applicants must be able to supply a proof of citizenship or legal resident alien status.